Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Day 9: Back in Town


Pulling into the Walgreen's parking lot tonight, I was reminded by the Ferris wheel, many other strange looking rides, and numerous trailers that it must truly be summer. Every year around this time a "carnival" comes to town and sets up camp behind the Walgreen's in an open field, attracting all sorts of interesting characters.  

Years ago it was the thing to do in the summer right before the Fourth of July. Being just down the street from our house, my sister and I would get friends together and walk over and go on the rides, eat cotton candy and dippin' dots, and watch the fireworks at night. 

For about a week our little section of Roselle was taken over by this carnival. There were closed streets, blaring music throughout the day, bright lights coming from all the rides at night, and of course the carnie folk! You know what I mean, "small hands, smells like cabbage"? Ok, not really, but we always used to joke that the carnies were in town and were taking over because you would see them at the nearby grocery stores walking around buying a snack, taking a look at the locals. 

Now a days we happily stay away from the carnival ever since its been taken over by teeny-boppers wearing way too much makeup and way too little clothing. Fortunately, we can still see the fireworks, and we'll forever have memories of summers full of ice cream, cotton candy, and carnies. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wanna go????? Maybe we can come for the fireworks. I will have to ask J!

Linnea said...

I am so happy you joined in!!!